Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Social Learning and Social Networking

Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, and Malenoski (2007) defined collaborative learning as when students work together in groups to enhance their learning. By working together with their peers, students can “make sense of, or construct meaning for, new knowledge”(Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007,p.139). I explored a variety of different cooperative learning strategies and a few social networking strategies. As I explored both types of strategies, I started to make connections between the two and how I can incorporate both in my classroom.
When it comes to using Facebook in my classroom, I tend to be cautious. Almost every student has Facebook, but the last thing they use it for is academics. I came up with the idea of having students design a class Facebook page. I would assign different roles to students to create the page. We could have a homework posting area, homework help, class discussions etc. I would need the students help to come up with more ideas. Students would also be responsible for maintaining and updating the page daily. I would of course need to set strict ground rules, such as no inappropriate posts or pictures. Although I am hesitant, I think it can be worth a try.
The second tool I would use is blogs. Students can work in small groups to design and maintain a blog related to science. I would run it similar to how we run our blog posts in this course. Each group would be responsible for posting early in the week and reading/responding to classmates blogs. Students will need to communicate and work with others in their groups to keep the blog up-to-date.
No matter what social networking strategy I would use, I would give the students a rubric outlining how they will be graded based on their participation. I would also give each group a sheet where they have to assign a role to each group member. The main goal for all these ideas is to have students work together to build something, communicate with their peers, and support each other, which is a main goal of social learning. It also allows students to see how the social networking sites can be used for other purposes, rather than discussing their social lives!
Here is the link to my VoiceThread:


Kayla Shandra



Pitler H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

3 comments:

  1. Kayla,

    I think it is a great idea to try Facebook with your students. Please let me know how it works out as I've thought of doing one for the parents in my class (1st graders are a little too young to do one). Some other teachers in my building in the middle school are also considering doing this. I see so much potential for this learning opportunity since, like you said, students use Facebook as a socially interactive website. We, as educators, might as well take advantage of something our students enjoy utilizing to educate them! Great ideas and post this week!

    Matt Larson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayla,
    Very bold of you to attempt Facebook with your class. As much as I embrace technology and the possibilities, this is the one area I stay away from academically. For one, it is the number one site blocked by the district - ironic since we have a district Facebook page, but I digress. Two, students aren't supposed to have an account until they are 13 years old. (http://www.facebook.com/legal/terms) I frequently remind my 11 year old students of this and that if I catch them with an account I will report them. I feel it is in our best interest to model and enforce the rules so that students have a sense of proper boundaries both in and out of school.

    ~Kristy Baker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Voice Thread! I agree with you that state testing is very stressful. I wish my school would have an attitude that 30 multiple test questions will not drive us. My school depends on the state’s funding in order to pay its teachers and staff members. If we do poorly on the test we all take a hit.

    I believe you are using technology in a very bold way. My school has blocked many websites, facebook included. We were told that we could not have a facebook account that ANY student could have access to. This includes a teacher being a parent and friending their child to monitor what their kid is up to. Now the part about watching your own child is fine, but you are not allowed to have access to other students on facebook. I like your goal of teaching students how to use a social network as a means of education and not to simply share one’s life.

    -Joanie

    ReplyDelete