Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Behaviorist Learning Theory

As I looked through the learning resources and sample websites, I noticed that although the online activities were different, they all we set up very similar. Dr. Orey (2010) mentioned that reinforcement and punishment are very important parts of the theory of behaviorism. Teachers should always try to reinforce positive outcomes. I noticed that during all the online activities, when the correct outcome was accomplished, the program gave some sort of positive reinforcement. For example, during one of the activities where the students had to put the correct amount of change in the piggy bank, the piggy bank changed color when the correct amount was chosen. When students see this positive response, it motivates them to try their best. It also serves as a form of reinforcement. This can be applied to homework. When students work hard on a homework assignment, they should learn to expect a good grade. When I hand tests and homework back to the students, I make sure I put a sticker and a positve comment at the top of their paper to reinforce their hard work. I also noticed that when an answer was incorrect, the activity either told the student that the answer was wrong, or it had the student try over and over again until the correct answer was chosen. I can see how this can serve as a type of punishment and will discourage incorrect answers.  Many times, a prompt was given to the student to direct them in the right direction.  The goal of behaviorism is to change a student’s behaviors using punishment and reinforcement and these online activities clearly show this (Laureate Education,Inc.,2010).


Laureate Education,Inc.(Producer).(2010) Behaviorist learning theory [Video webcast].

5 comments:

  1. I never thought about interactive activities correct or incorrect outcomes being reinforcing in positive or negative ways. You are right that the correct answers receive some sort of motivation. I also feel that the incorrect answers get the student attention to get questions right next time.

    -Joanie Grimm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also noticed the positive reinforcement in the interactive programs. I think this is good for students, especially students who have not seen a lot of success in the classroom. This type of program could motivate the reluctant learner, or help the student who may not have all the advantages as other students. I try to put encouraging comments on my students’ homework, but I also make comments on what needs to be improved. I try to avoid any negative language on homework; I think this is a sure fire way for students to quit trying.
    Landon Harrison

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that homework is a place where positive and negative reinforcement can be used successfully. I like the idea of how they made the student try again if the answer was wrong, because while this does constitute a type of negative reinforcement it also aids the student in learning the material. So in a sense, negative reinforcment without being negative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Landon,

    I never thought of putting comments on students homework/tests on what they can improve. That is a great way to provide feedback. I am going to start doing that. Thank you!

    Kayla Shandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kayla,

    I like the idea of using stickers,stars, etc. on assignments students do well on. Granted I did not start this until last year and this is my fifth year teaching. The reason I never believed in this type of positive reinforcement was because of teaching high school students. I believed they were at the age that they didn't need stickers or stars on work they performed well on. One day I thought to myself, "Some of my professors gave stickers and stars for work well done." It was at this point I gave it a shot. I bought stars and stickers and used them to put on papers or assignments in which my students performed well on. The outcome of this was my students liked the idea and did get a sense of pride from it.

    ReplyDelete