Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Cognitivism in Practice

Cues are used to help students know what they are about to experience during the lesson (Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007).  When starting a new unit, I often give students an anticipation guide that not only allows me to assess their prior knowledge on the topic, but it also gives the students a sneak peak at what will be learning throughout the unit.  As far as questioning, I always begin and end my class with a question. My warm-up question either serves as a review from last class, or it connects in some way to the new material. My exit slip questions are almost always a review question, so that I can assess the students understanding of the lesson.
One of my favorite things to use are advance organizers. When I started teaching three years ago I only gave advanced organizers to students to my special education students who needed them. When I saw how much it helped them with note taking, I decided to start using them with all my students. My students love advanced organizers and I believe that it helps with their note taking skills. Students are learning how to organize their notes and pick out main ideas, instead of writing every single word they see in the paragraph. I often include a summarizing part to my graphic organizer so the students can make connections and write all the information in a way that shows the overall picture, which is the main goal of summarizing (Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007).
I often use concept maps as a type of advanced organizer or as a brainstorming activity. When I use it as a brainstorming activity, I try to tap into a student’s prior knowledge and see what they know about a certain topic.  I believe that when using virtual field trips it would be beneficial for students to have some sort of concept map to organize all the information they gather. It can also serve as a guide through the virtual field trip which can make the field trip more meaningful for students. If the student have a concept map guiding them, they will be less likely to just click through the information because they will have to stop at certain points and read and record certain information.
Kayla Shandra


Pitler H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

4 comments:

  1. Kayla,

    Your opening paragraph made me laugh when you stated you ask a question at the beginning of each class and at the end of each class. I usually receive a question at the beginning of each class, what’s for lunch? At the end of class the question is when does this class get over? Unfortunately this is the third month of school and the classes end the same time every day and I respond every day not soon enough.

    I like your idea of using a concept map as a brainstorming activity; I hadn’t used a concept map for brainstorming since college. I have a marketing class that struggles with creating new ideas for the Spirit Store and so do I. Thank you for your ideas and I believe my students will benefit greatly with your brainstorming activity.

    Monty Harrison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayla-

    I really like the idea of the concept map as a brainstorming activity. I love brainstorming to see what prior knowledge students have. So often I fear brainstorming is too cluttered for the students to gain as much as they can. By using a concept map, not only can they put down what they know, but they can see it in an organized fashion which I think is very beneficial for the students. It would also be great if they brainstormed on their own using a map and then compared it with a partner or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exit slips are something that I've always thought about using and I've heard about but I've never really implemented it. On the exit slips for your students, what exactly do you have them write down? Is it more of a question they may have or is it more geared toward the students writing down something they have learned that day? From my understanding of what you wrote, I am understanding that you ask the students a question at the end and they write the answer down as their exit slip. Is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kayla,
    I also love your brainstorming idea. It is a great way to assess students knowledge of the content before getting into the lesson. I also question my students at the beginning of class and at the end as well. Now students expect for me to have an exit slip with a question so they are holding themselves more accountable for their learning. It is amazing the conversation and the knowledge we learn by simply asking a question.
    Great post!
    -Samantha R.

    ReplyDelete